• About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Sunday, November 30, 2025
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Diplomatic Info
  • Home
  • Diplomacy
  • Embassy News and Info
  • Events
  • Nigeria
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Cover Story
  • ECOWAS
    • Togo
    • Sierra Leone
    • Senegal
    • Nigeria
    • Niger
    • Mali
    • Liberia
    • Guinea Bissau
    • Guinea
    • Ghana
    • The Gambia
    • Cote D’Ivoire
    • Cabo Verde
    • Burkina Faso
    • Benin
  • Advertise
    • mail
  • Home
  • Diplomacy
  • Embassy News and Info
  • Events
  • Nigeria
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Cover Story
  • ECOWAS
    • Togo
    • Sierra Leone
    • Senegal
    • Nigeria
    • Niger
    • Mali
    • Liberia
    • Guinea Bissau
    • Guinea
    • Ghana
    • The Gambia
    • Cote D’Ivoire
    • Cabo Verde
    • Burkina Faso
    • Benin
  • Advertise
    • mail
No Result
View All Result
Diplomatic Info
No Result
View All Result
Home International

As 180,000 lose water in Mississippi, Biden offers federal aid

by Diplomatic Info
September 4, 2022
in International
0
As 180,000 lose water in Mississippi, Biden offers federal aid
0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
Facebook ShareShare on WhatsAppTweet it!

The White House has declared the water crisis in the state of Mississippi an emergency, and ordered federal assistance to support the state’s efforts.

In a statement this week, the White House said, “Emergency protective measures, including direct federal assistance, will be provided at 75 percent federal funding for a period of 90 days.”

The Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency was also authorized by the administration to coordinate all disaster relief efforts in the state, the White House added.

As the state capital, Jackson, has been without safe running water, possibly for days, Mississippi activated its National Guard to help distribute water to tens of thousands of residents.

Governor Tate Reeves, who declared a state of emergency for Jackson and surrounding communities, warned the area’s 180,000 people to avoid drinking tap water.

The city said that non-potable water and bottled drinking water were being distributed by tankers at several sites.

State emergency management director Stephen McCraney told reporters, “The state trucked in 10 tractor-trailers of water and was expecting another 108 trucks in the coming days.”

The crisis began on August 28 when floodwaters entered the understaffed and poorly maintained O.B. Curtis treatment plant.

Senior state health officer Jim Craig said by the following day, an emergency team had the plant working at 40 percent capacity.

The shutdown created havoc for businesses, and supermarkets ran out of supplies of bottled water. At one distribution site in a retail parking lot, the police had to alert people when there were no more drinking water to be distributed.

Therefore, volunteers apologized to people and urged them to return the following day at 5 a.m.

“It is a hurtful feeling when you do not have any water, especially when you have got newborn babies,” said mother of three Monica Lashay Bass, as quoted by Reuters.

In Jackson, local residents have long complained about their water supplies. In February 2021, two winter storms caused most residents to lose running water briefly.

According to Mississippi Today, last year the Environmental Protection Agency issued an emergency order warning that the water supplies could contain E. Coli.

At a news conference held this week, Jackson Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba welcomed the state aid.

Also, the White House said that administration officials were in contact with state and local officials, including Lumumba, and President Joe Biden has been briefed about the situation.

Diplomatic Info

Diplomatic Info

Next Post
Islamabad ATC extends Imran’s interim bail in terror case till Sep. 12

Islamabad ATC extends Imran's interim bail in terror case till Sep. 12

Recommended

Forget politics, fight the soot, Rivers APC tells Gov Wike

Forget politics, fight the soot, Rivers APC tells Gov Wike

4 years ago
Malian troops, foreign military personnel killed over 500 people in Mali village: UN

Malian troops, foreign military personnel killed over 500 people in Mali village: UN

3 years ago

Popular News

    Connect with us on Facebook

    Subscribe to Our Newsletter

    Enter your email now to join our community of readers, and get new contents straight to your inbox

    We promise to not spam you

    Thanks for joining in.

    Category

    • Africa
    • Benin
    • Burkina Faso
    • Business
    • Cote D'Ivoire
    • Cover Story
    • Diplomacy
    • ECOWAS
    • Education
    • Embassy News and Info
    • Events
    • Ghana
    • Guinea
    • Guinea Bissau
    • International
    • Liberia
    • Mali
    • News
    • Niger
    • Nigeria
    • Politics
    • Programs
    • Security
    • Senegal
    • Sierra Leone
    • The Gambia
    • Togo
    • Uncategorized

    Quick Links

    • About
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise

    About Us

    Providing strategic insights into important social, cultural, political, and economic factors that significantly influence business and nations, Diplomatic Info will examine these critical issues and provide strategies that create competitive advantages.

    © 2025 Diplomatic Info - Proudly designed with Love from Talongeeks.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Diplomacy
    • Embassy News and Info
    • Events
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Security
    • News
    • Cover Story
    • Africa
    • ECOWAS
      • Togo
      • Sierra Leone
      • Senegal
      • Nigeria
      • Niger
      • Mali
      • Liberia
      • Guinea Bissau
      • Guinea
      • The Gambia
      • Cote D’Ivoire
      • Ghana
      • Cabo Verde
      • Benin
      • Burkina Faso
    • International
    • Contact

    © 2025 Diplomatic Info - Proudly designed with Love from Talongeeks.