JERUSALEM
The mayor of Barcelona was denied entry to Israel ahead of a planned visit, after the Spanish city’s decision to cut ties with Tel Aviv, local media said on Friday.
According to the daily Yedioth Ahronoth, the Interior Ministry announced that Mayor Jaume Collboni, who had been scheduled to arrive in Israel Friday night, was barred from entry.
“The denial comes following several recent statements by the mayor against Israel, and after the city council passed a resolution in May to sever ties with Israel,” the daily said.
According to Israel’s Channel 12, Collboni was set to visit Yad Vashem, a museum in East Jerusalem, and meet the officials from the Palestinian Authority.
In recent months, Israel has banned the entry of many Western officials and activists showing solidarity with Palestinians and criticizing Israeli military actions in the Gaza Strip.