The Ondo State Government has warned residents against dumping of refuse in waterways to avoid flooding in the state.
Elisha Ebijimi who is the Special Adviser (Technical) to Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa on Erosion Control and Related Matters, gave the warning on Wednesday during the channelisation of the canal at Ijapo Extension, Akure.
Atibiti 2 layout, Otenioro layout and Anglican communities at Ijapo Extension in Akure South Local Government Area were affected by flood.
Mr Ebijimi said the warning became necessary to avoid disaster, especially in the areas prone to flooding in the state.
The special adviser said that the channelisation of the canal had been ongoing since 2024.
He stated that it was part of the governor’s mandate “to be on the field and do the right thing for the good people of the state.”
According to him, the government will not fold its arms and relent on flood control across the 18 local Government Areas of the state.
He stated, “In 2024, we were into Ilaje, Ese-Odo, Odigbo, Ile-Oluji and Ondo Town in Ondo East Local Government Area, today, we are in Akure South and will move to Oba-ile in Akure North Local Government in few weeks. This waterway was 2 meters depth and 15 meters wide but today we are expanding it to 4 meters depth and 25 meters wide. So, we have promised the good people of Ondo State that this present administration will do whatever is in its power on flood control. But we want to appeal to the good people of Ondo State to shun illegal dumping of refuse on waterways so that the state will not experience any calamity associated with flood.’’
Also, one of the landlords in the area, Ahmed Oluwadare, applauded the state government for the flood control, saying the gesture would address the issue of flooding which had been facing the area in the last 10 years.
He stated, “We have been yearning for this excavator and written a series of letters to many places but today, we thank Governor Aiyedatiwa for listening to us. This will help us to alleviate the problem we are facing in this particular area. Honestly, the impact is much. Houses are flooded; some landlords have abandoned their houses while some have sold theirs because of the impact of the flood in the area. My neighbours’ car was damaged because of flood and another person’s properties were also damaged.’’
Mr Oluwadare, therefore, called on the government to establish environmental vanguards to help them protect waterways in the state, saying the association of landlords had been sensitising people not to dump refuse in waterways.
Similarly, another landlord, Hassan Bamidele, said that the flooding had been affecting the area in the last five years, and called for permanent control for the betterment of the residents.
A landlord at Ijapo Extension, Oladipo Eliyode, said that the dredging of the canal would help the landlords to be at peace whenever it’s raining.
He said, “We have been on this issue of flood for years but with what the government has done today, I believe it will last us for five years because it is wider than it was before.’’
(NAN)