• About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Friday, August 29, 2025
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Diplomatic Info
  • Home
  • Diplomacy
  • Embassy News and Info
  • Events
  • Nigeria
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Cover Story
  • ECOWAS
    • Togo
    • Sierra Leone
    • Senegal
    • Nigeria
    • Niger
    • Mali
    • Liberia
    • Guinea Bissau
    • Guinea
    • Ghana
    • The Gambia
    • Cote D’Ivoire
    • Cabo Verde
    • Burkina Faso
    • Benin
  • Advertise
    • mail
  • Home
  • Diplomacy
  • Embassy News and Info
  • Events
  • Nigeria
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Cover Story
  • ECOWAS
    • Togo
    • Sierra Leone
    • Senegal
    • Nigeria
    • Niger
    • Mali
    • Liberia
    • Guinea Bissau
    • Guinea
    • Ghana
    • The Gambia
    • Cote D’Ivoire
    • Cabo Verde
    • Burkina Faso
    • Benin
  • Advertise
    • mail
No Result
View All Result
Diplomatic Info
No Result
View All Result
Home Africa

Military trial opens in DR Congo over deadly crackdown on anti-UN protest

by Diplomatic Info
September 6, 2023
in Africa, Security
0
Military trial opens in DR Congo over deadly crackdown on anti-UN protest
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Facebook ShareShare on WhatsAppTweet it!

Suspects charged with crimes against humanity, malicious destruction and incitement of military personnel

KIGALI, Rwanda

A military court in the Democratic Republic of Congo opened the trial Tuesday of six military personnel, including two senior officers, accused of instructing soldiers to kill members of a religious sect who had gathered at the end of last month to protest against the presence of UN peacekeepers in North Kivu province.

Colonel Mike Mikombe, who heads the Republican Guard unit in the city of Goma, and Lieutenant-Colonel Donatien Bawili, who heads the Congolese armed forces regiment in Goma, appeared at the military court of North Kivu in Goma along with four other non-commissioned soldiers to hear their formal charges.

Arrested on Monday, the officers were charged with three counts including “crimes against humanity, malicious destruction of military effects and incitement of military personnel to commit acts contrary to duty or discipline.”

Mikombe is the key suspect who the prosecution says headed the unit of the Republican Guard that shot civilians.

At least 56 civilians were killed and 75 wounded in the deadly incident on Aug. 30, according to the prosecution, while the government put the death toll at 43.

Some independent sources claim the death toll reached 100.

The victims were reportedly killed after the army raided a crowd from a religious sect called the Natural Judaic and Messianic Faith Towards the Nations which had gathered to protest against the presence in the country of the UN peacekeeping force known as MONUSCO and regional forces from countries of the East African Community bloc.

The incident occurred in Goma, the capital of North Kivu province.

The authorities had banned protests organized by the religious sect, which called themselves “Wazalendo,” or “Patriots,” which the military accused of sowing chaos.

Diplomatic Info

Diplomatic Info

Next Post
Zambia’s president warns of stern action against coup plotters

Zambia's president warns of stern action against coup plotters

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Bomb explosion rocks Ugandan capital, police call for calm

Bomb explosion rocks Ugandan capital, police call for calm

3 months ago
Shadow Govt: Court hears SSS suit against Pat Utomi June 25

Shadow Govt: Court hears SSS suit against Pat Utomi June 25

3 months ago

Popular News

  • Buhari arrives Washington for U.S.-Africa leaders summit

    Buhari arrives Washington for U.S.-Africa leaders summit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Israeli president says situation ‘very serious’ amid judicial overhaul debate

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Angola has deployed troops in DR Congo to fight M23 rebels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • After two years of SEC denial, Oando can finally hold AGM

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Kenyans hold candlelit vigil in solidarity with Palestine amid deuterating situation in Gaza Strip

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us on Facebook

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Enter your email now to join our community of readers, and get new contents straight to your inbox

We promise to not spam you

Thanks for joining in.

Category

  • Africa
  • Benin
  • Burkina Faso
  • Business
  • Cote D'Ivoire
  • Cover Story
  • Diplomacy
  • ECOWAS
  • Education
  • Embassy News and Info
  • Events
  • Ghana
  • Guinea
  • Guinea Bissau
  • International
  • Liberia
  • Mali
  • News
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Programs
  • Security
  • Senegal
  • Sierra Leone
  • The Gambia
  • Togo
  • Uncategorized

Quick Links

  • About
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise

About Us

Providing strategic insights into important social, cultural, political, and economic factors that significantly influence business and nations, Diplomatic Info will examine these critical issues and provide strategies that create competitive advantages.

© 2023 Diplomatic Info - Built with Love by Creovantage.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Diplomacy
  • Embassy News and Info
  • Events
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Security
  • News
  • Cover Story
  • Africa
  • ECOWAS
    • Togo
    • Sierra Leone
    • Senegal
    • Nigeria
    • Niger
    • Mali
    • Liberia
    • Guinea Bissau
    • Guinea
    • The Gambia
    • Cote D’Ivoire
    • Ghana
    • Cabo Verde
    • Benin
    • Burkina Faso
  • International
  • Contact

© 2023 Diplomatic Info - Built with Love by Creovantage.