• About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Friday, August 29, 2025
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Diplomatic Info
  • Home
  • Diplomacy
  • Embassy News and Info
  • Events
  • Nigeria
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Cover Story
  • ECOWAS
    • Togo
    • Sierra Leone
    • Senegal
    • Nigeria
    • Niger
    • Mali
    • Liberia
    • Guinea Bissau
    • Guinea
    • Ghana
    • The Gambia
    • Cote D’Ivoire
    • Cabo Verde
    • Burkina Faso
    • Benin
  • Advertise
    • mail
  • Home
  • Diplomacy
  • Embassy News and Info
  • Events
  • Nigeria
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Cover Story
  • ECOWAS
    • Togo
    • Sierra Leone
    • Senegal
    • Nigeria
    • Niger
    • Mali
    • Liberia
    • Guinea Bissau
    • Guinea
    • Ghana
    • The Gambia
    • Cote D’Ivoire
    • Cabo Verde
    • Burkina Faso
    • Benin
  • Advertise
    • mail
No Result
View All Result
Diplomatic Info
No Result
View All Result
Home Africa

Somalia reports over 16,000 new cholera cases, 134 deaths in 2024

by Diplomatic Info
July 16, 2024
in Africa
0
Somalia reports over 16,000 new cholera cases, 134 deaths in 2024
0
SHARES
6
VIEWS
Facebook ShareShare on WhatsAppTweet it!

A total of 16,231 new cases of cholera and 134 related deaths have been reported in Somalia since January this year, with cases spreading due to prolonged rainfalls and flash floods, the government said on Monday.

The ministry of health and human services said 10,273 cases, or 63 per cent of the total, were classified as severe.

“Regrettably, 134 deaths were recorded during this reporting period, emphasising the severity of the outbreak,” the ministry said in a statement issued in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia.

The ministry also attributed the rising cholera cases in Somalia to a growing number of people who lack access to safe water and proper sanitation.

Several districts in Somalia had been severely affected by the outbreak, with the district of Kismayo having the highest number of cases, accounting for 2,567 cases, or 16 per cent of the total cases, said the ministry.

The ministry noted that these statistics underscore the geographical distribution of the outbreak and the urgent need for targeted interventions in these high-risk areas.

“In response to a cholera outbreak, a comprehensive oral cholera vaccination campaign was implemented, targeting a total of 920,913 individuals across several hot-affected districts,” the ministry said.

The campaign, targeting three age groups of children aged 14 years, those aged 5 to 15 years, and individuals over 15 years, successfully vaccinated 895,680 people, achieving an overall coverage rate of 97 per cent, according to the ministry.

Somalia has had uninterrupted AWD (acute watery diarrhoea) and cholera transmission since 2022 and in the Banadir region since the drought of 2017, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).

The WHO said Somalia is experiencing a cholera outbreak that has intensified since floods triggered by heavy rains in December 2023 destroyed sanitation facilities and caused further displacements.

In 2023, more than 18,304 cumulative cases of cholera and 46 deaths were reported in Somalia, with more than half being children aged below five years.

(Xinhua/NAN)

 

Diplomatic Info

Diplomatic Info

Next Post
Bandits leader shows off new naira notes in viral video

Bandits: 87% of Zamfara farmers have returned to farm, police say

Recommended

PDP convention to go ahead as Appeal Court dismisses Secondus’ lawsuit

PDP convention to go ahead as Appeal Court dismisses Secondus’ lawsuit

4 years ago
Naira crashes again, now N572 to dollar

Naira crashes again, now N572 to dollar

4 years ago

Popular News

  • Israeli president says situation ‘very serious’ amid judicial overhaul debate

    Israeli president says situation ‘very serious’ amid judicial overhaul debate

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Buhari arrives Washington for U.S.-Africa leaders summit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Angola has deployed troops in DR Congo to fight M23 rebels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • I snubbed governors Tinubu sent to beg me after election; I’ll not stop fighting until Supreme Court rules: Atiku Abubakar

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • After two years of SEC denial, Oando can finally hold AGM

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us on Facebook

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Enter your email now to join our community of readers, and get new contents straight to your inbox

We promise to not spam you

Thanks for joining in.

Category

  • Africa
  • Benin
  • Burkina Faso
  • Business
  • Cote D'Ivoire
  • Cover Story
  • Diplomacy
  • ECOWAS
  • Education
  • Embassy News and Info
  • Events
  • Ghana
  • Guinea
  • Guinea Bissau
  • International
  • Liberia
  • Mali
  • News
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Programs
  • Security
  • Senegal
  • Sierra Leone
  • The Gambia
  • Togo
  • Uncategorized

Quick Links

  • About
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise

About Us

Providing strategic insights into important social, cultural, political, and economic factors that significantly influence business and nations, Diplomatic Info will examine these critical issues and provide strategies that create competitive advantages.

© 2023 Diplomatic Info - Built with Love by Creovantage.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Diplomacy
  • Embassy News and Info
  • Events
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Security
  • News
  • Cover Story
  • Africa
  • ECOWAS
    • Togo
    • Sierra Leone
    • Senegal
    • Nigeria
    • Niger
    • Mali
    • Liberia
    • Guinea Bissau
    • Guinea
    • The Gambia
    • Cote D’Ivoire
    • Ghana
    • Cabo Verde
    • Benin
    • Burkina Faso
  • International
  • Contact

© 2023 Diplomatic Info - Built with Love by Creovantage.