Former Chelsea and Ghana star Christian Atsu has been found dead beneath the rubble of his home after the disastrous earthquake that shook Turkey almost two weeks ago.
This is according to the player’s agent and his club Hatayspor who tweeted, “There are no words to describe our sadness. We will not forget you, Atsu. Peace be upon you, beautiful person.”
Atsu had been missing since the earthquake brought down his home in Turkey.
The former Everton and Newcastle winger had been initially reported to have been rescued last week, but that news was retracted almost immediately by his club.
His agent Nana Sechere, who has been in Hatay, confirmed the news today on Twitter, saying: “It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well wishers that sadly Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning.
“My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.”
Atsu had been scheduled to fly out of southern Turkey hours before the quake.
Atsu moved to Turkey in September 2022 from the Saudi Pro League and was on the scoresheet for Hatayspor just a day before the quake that shook Turkey on February 6.
He played for Ghana 65 times and was named player of the tournament at the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, after helping the Black Stars reach the final before losing to champions Ivory Coast.
Newcastle have released a statement saying, “We are profoundly saddened to learn that Christian Atsu has tragically lost his life in Turkey’s devastating earthquakes.
“A talented player and a special person, he will always be fondly remembered by our players, staff and supporters.”
Everton said they were “deeply saddened” by the news, while Chelsea said they were “devastated”.
Leave a Reply