Nigeria’s Minister of Transportation, Mru’azu Sambo, says attacks on CCECC workers along the Abia State axis was stalling the work.
The construction of the Port Harcourt-Maiduguri eastern rail line by China Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCECC) has been suspended due to insecurity and vandalism of railway properties along the corridor.
Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday in Lagos.
While on an inspection tour of the project in Port Harcourt, Rivers, Mr Sambo SAID the CCECC had complained of attacks on its workers along the Abia State axis.
The minister condemned the attacks, saying “In the history of Nigeria, no administration has invested more in rail infrastructure like the present administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
“I call on the media and the judiciary to collaborate with the Ministry to ensure that these economic saboteurs are not only exposed but prosecuted and sentenced speedily to serve as a deterrent to others,” he added.
The minister refuted claims that funds meant for the eastern rail line were diverted to other projects.
“The progress made so far is from the 15 per cent of the counterpart funding by Nigeria while the 85 per cent to be provided by foreign partners is still negotiated,” Mr Sambo said.