The Federal High Court, Abuja Division, on Wednesday, struck out the lawsuit filed by former Bayelsa Deputy Governor Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo.
Mr Ewhrudjakpo had initially sought an injunction to stop alleged impeachment proceedings stemming from his refusal to defect from the Peoples Democratic Party alongside Governor Douye Diri.
Justice Emeka Nwite, in a ruling, struck out the suit after B.K. Angaye, who appeared for the Bayelsa House of Assembly, speaker and others, made the application to that effect.
When the case was called, no counsel appeared for the late Mr Ewhrudjakpo, who passed away on December 11, 2025.
However, Mr Angaye announced appearance for the assembly, the speaker, the attorney general of Bayelsa, and the clerk, listed as first, second, fifth and seventh defendants, respectively.
Ifeaoma Okonkwo represented the director general of the State Security Service.
Mr Angaye then informed the court that the suit, which had been pending for a considerable period, had been overtaken by events.
“We apply that the matter be struck out my lord,” she said.
Ms Okonkwo did not oppose the application and the judge consequently struck out the case.
“This matter is slated today for hearing but the defence counsel informed the court that this matter has been overtaken by events. Consequently, this matter is hereby struck out,” the judge ruled.
Mr Ewhrudjakpo had filed the suit to challenge the alleged ploy by the assembly to remove him following his refusal to defect alongside Governor Douye Diri from the Peoples Democratic Party to the All Progressives Congress.
In the originating summons marked FHC/ABJ/CS/221/2025, Mr Ewhrudjakpo alleged that members of the Bayelsa assembly were under pressure to remove him from office for refusing to resign from the PDP — the platform on which he and Mr Diri were elected.
Mr Diri had, on November 3, 2025, resigned from the PDP, but Ewhrudjakpo had remained in the party. The then-deputy governor, through his lawyer, Reuben Egwuaba, sought several interim orders.
These included an order restraining the state assembly from removing or impeaching him in violation of Sections 188(5)-(9), (11) and 36(1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), on the grounds of his refusal to defect from the PDP to the APC or any other political party before the end of his tenure.
He also sought an order restraining the assembly from initiating or conducting impeachment proceedings or meetings against him for the same reason and from recognising or dealing with any member of the APC as deputy governor of the state.
Additionally, Mr Ewhrudjakpo sought an order restraining the inspector general of police, SSS’ director-general, and the Bayelsa attorney general from withdrawing his security protection as deputy governor pending the determination of the motion on notice.
After Mr Egwuaba moved the ex parte motion on October 27, 2025, the judge directed the defendants to appear before the court and show cause why the interim orders sought by the plaintiff should not be granted.
The judge said granting the order for the defendants to appear would serve the interest of justice.
Mr Ewhrudjakpo collapsed in his office in Yenagoa and was rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, where he was pronounced dead on December 11, 2025, and was buried on January 30, 2026.
Peter Pereotubo Akpe was officially sworn in as the new deputy governor on February 25.
(NAN)


