Number dead steadily rising as heavy rain hit region overnight last Thursday
The death toll rose to 425 from floods and mudslides that hit Kalehe territory last week in South Kivu province in eastern Congo, according to security officer Lieut. Peter Belongola.
The administrator of Kalehe territory, Thomas Bakenga, said the number dead has been rising since Friday as more bodies are being discovered from under the mud.
Bakenga said on Saturday that 170 bodies had been recovered but that figure rose to 400 by Monday.
Heavy rains fell on the territory of Kalehe overnight last Thursday, causing overflows to the Cibira and Nyamukubi rivers which led to floods and mudslides destroying dozens of homes and killing residents.
Leave a Reply