Egypt’s president, head of Libya’s Presidency Council talk over phone
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and head of Libya’s Presidency Council, Mohamed al-Menfi, said elections are the only way-out of the Libyan crisis.
This came in a phone call al-Sisi received Monday evening from al-Menfi during which they discussed developments in the crisis-hit country.
Al-Sisi said that Egypt will not spare any effort to achieve national reconciliation in Libya, his office said in a statement.
The two sides also underlined the importance of the departure of all foreign troops and mercenaries from Libya.
Al-Menfi’s office, meanwhile, said the Egyptian leader underlined his country’s keenness to maintain Libya’s unity and encourage dialogue between all Libyan rivals.
Last week, protesters stormed the premises of the Tobruk-based House of Representatives (parliament) and set it on fire amid protests in several Libyan cities calling for the abolition of legislative and executive bodies and holding elections as soon as possible.
Libya has been plagued by turmoil and divisions since the 2011 ouster of late ruler Muammar Gaddafi.
UN-sponsored talks between Libyan rivals to agree on a constitutional framework for holding the long-awaited elections have been deadlocked.
Libyans are still waiting for elections to take place in hopes that the vote will contribute to ending years of armed conflict in the oil-rich country.