Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has vowed to restore the fuel subsidy regime, claiming that money saved from its removal by President Bola Tinubu has been “stolen”.
Mr Abubakar, in an interview with journalists on Wednesday, said that although he does not oppose subsidy removal, the money saved from the policy was stolen and not reinvested to improve citizens’ lives.
“I didn’t oppose the removal of subsidy. But where is the money? The money gotten should have been used to tackle poverty, out-of-school children and other things,” Mr Abubakar noted.
The former vice-president added, “Where is the money? They stole it. I will return fuel subsidy. The big thing was that they removed the subsidy, but where is the money? Even if I removed subsidy, I would still work.
“The subsidy was removed to improve education, security, poverty and other things. I will return the subsidy.”
The presidency could not immediately be reached for comment on the allegation that fuel subsidy funds were looted.
According to Mr Abubaka, he spoke with former NNPC leaders who admitted he had been right about his position on fuel subsidy.
“Something happened last week. Five past leaders of NNPC called me and said, ‘We didn’t agree when you sketched your plan, but now we agree.’ They said they made a mistake, not me. Until you have power, those things cannot be done,” Mr Abubakar stated.



