Ghana will on Thursday, evacuate the first batch of 300 citizens from South Africa, following Xenophobic attacks that has led to killings of other Africa nationals and their businesses.
Ghana’s minister of foreign affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, disclosed this in a post on X, on Monday, following continued wave of protests agaisnt foreign nationals residing and doing businesses in South Africa.
Mr Ablakwa said, “The first batch of 300 Ghanaians will be evacuated from South Africa on May 21, 2026. The welfare and safety of all Ghanaians is a non-negotiable priority of the Mahama Administration.”
According to the ministry, the evacuation is free for the evacuees, and will be carried out by 5:00 a.m., with a special chartered flight, from the O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg.
The ministry said, “Special Chartered Flight: departs South Africa on May 21, 2026 at 5 a.m.; Evacuation Airport: O.R. International Airport, Johannesburg; Free Service: Note that this is a Free Service fully paid for by the government of Ghana.”
The Ghana MFA urged citizens willing to return to their country, to contact the the country’s high commission in Pretoria, for more information.
Mr Ablakwa had also in a post on X, on May 12, stated that Ghana’s President, John Mahama, had approved the evacuation of the citizens who had already registered with the to be rescued.
“His Excellency John Mahama has granted presidential approval for the immediate evacuation of 300 Ghanaians in South Africa.
“These distressed Ghanaians had earlier complied with the Foreign Ministry’s advisory and registered with our High Commission in Pretoria to be rescued following the latest wave of xenophobic attacks.
“The government of Ghana shall continue to safeguard the welfare of all Ghanaians home and abroad,” said the statement.



